Krasnooknyanskiy district is located on the North-West on Odessa region. Administrative centre – Krasny Okny. District borders the Republic of Moldova on the South and West, Kotovskiy district on the North, Ananyivskiy and – on the East. Krany Okny (till 1919 Okny – Moldav. - 'source' ) is the administrative, agricultural and cultural centre of the district. It is located 200 km from Odessa by the river Yagorlyk.
Okny was founded during th last quarter of XVIII century. Name of the settlement comes from Moldavian word 'okny', which means – source, stream that doesn't freeze in winter. Mid- Sarmatian horizon lies through territory of the district. It breaks to surface as water sources which district's territory is rich for. Unfortunately, there is no precise date of populating the area among historical documents. There is only one exception – a document stated 1779 mentions about 41 settlements that paid taxes to Dubossarske voivodeship. Old residents believe that among those 41 was Okny because Moldavian boyar Strudze rulled the area.
First settlements (35 families) in Okny were from Podilska province who escaped serfdom and settled on the shore of Yagurlyk river. At that moment village was in Ananyivsky county and was called 'Moldavian'. In two years there were already 238 people (Ukrainians, Moldavians, Polanders).
From 1795 village is divided in two parts by Yagorlyk river (one part – Podilska province, second - Ananyivska county, Khersonska province). Second part was transferred to Strudze's daughter authority (princess Gagarina) in 1842. Count Gagarin had a land on the shore of the Black Sea (modern Arcadia sanatorium – was his family residence where two elder sons had lived).
To connect with Odessa and Moldova a post road was created, one of its stations is situated near Oleksandrivka village. Here Alexander Pushkin had a stop on his way to exile in Chisinau.
In 1865 Balta - Odessa railroad started to operate (lies through the district) which kick-started immigration of different kinds of specialists from all around Russia. Thus, a big community of Jewish craftsmen had arrived to Okny.