Odessa botanic park was founded in 1819 for which French botanic Desmet was recruited with salary over 3 000 Rubles annualy.Time: 10 00 - 18 00
Odessa botanic park was founded in 1819 for which French botanic Desmet was recruited with salary over 3 000 Rubles annualy.
First Botanic garden 70 hectares square was founded in Otrada region. Even today two huge trees from original layout grow in Pyrogovsky lane. on 17th of November 1819 a solemn opening had accured. First tree was planted by count Langeron and next year thousands of different tree seeds from Imperial Nikitsky park selected personally by Desmet were moved here and a grand development started. With huge investment park grew bigger and bigger. Plants from all over the world had been successfully planted and grown in this establishment.
In 1824 garden met further development: greenhouses, gardening school and barracks for workers were built; park benches for visitors were crafted; In 1839 Desmet had died. Desmet was in bad condition due to his illness for over six years. Thus, academician Nordman became a manager of establishment.
In 1866 garden was transfered to town authority, however it became abandoned. Plants and trees were in extremely grim condition. Garden was on the brink of extinction.
To save the remains garden was surrounded by fence. Groups of tourists were organized for excursions during good weather.
Desmet's creation successor was new reorganized botanic garden which was established in 1867.
When L.V. Reingard became main botanic in Novorosiyskiy university, he convinced management to reform college town into new botanic garden (former Rishelyevsky university camp). In 1880 garden was moved there from the university court.
First World War, Civil War and Second World Wars left their marks on the garden. However, after all the events park is still growing and shining.